The two Metro projects will provide an environment-friendly ‘Mass Rapid Transit System’ (MRTS) to Ahmedabad and Surat.
Ahead of the bhoomi poojan, the PM had called it a landmark day for India’s two urban centres.
Today is a landmark day for two of Gujarat’s leading urban centres. The Bhoomi Poojan of Surat Metro and Phase-2 of… https://t.co/eP5lZW25aH
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 1610933974000
The online event was also attended by Gujarat governor Acharya Devvrat, Union home minister Amit Shah, Gujarat chief minister Vijay Rupani and Union housing and urban affairs minister Hardeep Singh Puri.
Here are the highlights from PM Modi’s address:
* Ahmedabad and Surat are receiving very important gifts today. Metro will further strengthen the connectivity in two major business centres of the country – Ahmedabad and Surat.
* The most important thing about these two metro projects is that these will benefit our cities for many years to come.
PM Modi inaugurates Ahmedabad Metro rail project phase-II
* Best example to see the difference in the approach of previous governments and the work of the current government is the expansion of metro rail network across the country.
* Before 2014, only 225 km of Metro line could become functional over the last 10-12 years. However, now the total Metro network in the country is more than 450 km.
* As of now, work is underway on over 1,000 km of metro network in 27 cities across the nation.
PM Modi inaugurates Surat Metro project
* Earlier there was no coordination in public transport planning. Various cities had different Metro projects. There was no modern thinking in the nation, regarding the Metro network. There was no Metro policy.
* But now we are working on developing interconnected public transport systems.
* We are developing the cities’ transport system to be integrated. It means that bus, metro, rail will not ply as per their own design but work as a collective system, complementary to each other.
About Ahmedabad Metro project
Ahmedabad Metro rail project phase-II is 28.25 km long with two corridors. Corridor-1 is 22.8 km long and is from Motera Stadium to Mahatma Mandir. Corridor-2 is 5.4 km long and is from Gujarat National Law University (GNLU) to Gujarat International Finance Tec (GIFT) City. The total completion cost of the phase-II project is Rs 5,384 crore.
About Surat Metro project
Surat Metro rail project is 40.35 km long and comprises two corridors. Corridor-1 is 21.61 km long and is from Sarthana to Dream City. Corridor-2 is 18.74 km long and is from Bhesan to Saroli. The total completion cost of the project Rs 12,020 crore.
(With inputs from agencies)